Sunday, October 04, 2009

Handshake Hypothesis !

I enjoyed reading this small hypothesis test on 'Getting introduced'.

" Arriving at a cocktail party one evening, the famed editor Maxwell Perkins, in an endeavor to test the hypothesis that no one listens to what anyone says on such occasions, greeted his hostess with a polite handshake and the following words:
"Sorry I'm late, but it took me longer to strangle my aunt than I expected."
"Yes, indeed," his hostess replied, "I'm so happy you came."
Perkins, Maxwell Evarts (1884-1947) American editor [noted for his mentorship of such writers as Fitzgerald, Hemingway, and Wolfe] "

I am sure it happens to all of us :-)

We never tend to pay attention to the words said while doing an handshake.
Some best practices recommended by memory experts to overcome this situation:
- Greet the person looking at their eyes
- If a person introduces himself/herself , ensure you repeat the name of the person or check the way the name is pronounced
- Try to link the person's face with some abstract figure you can recollect
Nextime when you are in a party,remember this Handshake hypothesis,

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home